Saturday, April 11, 2009

Monitor Lizards well adapted to farm life



Well since I am onto nature, lets talk first about wildlife on the farm. We'll get to farming latter.

Every day I carry a little notebook an a small digital camera. At lunch hour ( a break from diagnosing sick plants) I like to take a walk around the farm periphery and see whats living there, and keep count of the populations.

It seems in Malaysia that reptiles and amphibians are among the more commonly well adapted wildlife at the farm. I am always real impressed with the abundance and the size of monitor lizards here ( photo above; Varanus sp, probably the water monitor V. salvator). It seems they like the open spaces created by farming (I suppose it gives them more spots to sunbath compared to the dark forest).

I am not really sure of their actual diet, but I am imagining that they help suppress the rodent population ,although, more likely they are preying on the eggs of the abundant partridges around the farm ( can u see the small bird in the center the photo below ; hidding near its nest among the papaya trees ? I am not sure of the species. Any help ?)


Among the things I adore about monitor lizards is that their appearance creates an instant mental connection with the prehistoric past , And indeed, in nearby Indonesia (home of the largest monitor lizards in the world) , they have one species (Komodo Dragon) which certainly could pass for a small dinosaur.

It seems the monitors do okay living around the irrigation ponds, travelling to and from nearby streams.

I am thinking if we can find a way to improve their food sources perhaps we could further increase their numbers. I though about putting out false birds nests with chicken eggs, but haven't tried that yet. I am kind of worried it may encourage rats.

I am also thinking that a better way might be to help increase the partridges. These basically are happy in the farm , but often the nests get damaged when put in the wrong place ( like in the row where the mechanical mower goes). This might also help to bring in the big snakes (another favorite of mine). I am hoping next year I can convince the farmers to have an uncultivated open field for nesting birds. Let's see.

Ideas on this are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment