Monday, April 13, 2009

Millipede Behavior ...but why ?



Whenever I find a new critter on the farm, I invariably find myself asking "why is it here & what role in the farm ecosystem does it fill ?".


Certainly among the most conspicuous and numerous animals seen on any farm are arthropods, but contrary to what most people think, the majority of these are innocuous, which is to say they are neither harmful nor specifically beneficial. Some may want to argue this point, as "benefits" are not easy to see or understand, and the presence of many of these organisms may be connected to (but lower down on) a complex ecological web which somehow supports a more obviously beneficial animal.


Such is the case with papaya millipedes in Malaysia. These are beautiful creatures with striking colors and formidable appearance. They are often found cuddling their buddies in the shaded are under the fruits. This aggregation response is "typical millipede behaviour" I am told by experts, and is one of the features that separates millipedes from the similar , but more solitary, centipedes.

Workers on the farm worry when they find these "nests", but contrary to their popular belief, millipedes don't bite .


But why are they there ? and what are they doing ( or is it impolite to ask?). They defiantly don't harm the fruit. By common consensus of experts, millipedes are mostly detritus or fungus feeders, and not predators (although it would have been convenient if they were) .

I am sorry to say I have all lots of questions, but not many ( well , in fact not any) of the answers.


I do notice that papaya millipedes are more common areas that have infestations by mealybugs (Psuedococcus sp. see pic below), and I dearly wish that they were preying upon these nasty pests, but I suspect that the reality may be that the millipedes consume either the wax produced by the mealybugs, or more likely the black saprophytic fungus (see bottom pic) that develops on the fruits due to pr essence of carbohydrate rich "honeydew" produced by the mealybugs.

After food, what else could be on the millipedes mind ? Group Sex maybe ? Could this be the reason for their aggregation ? Is it just a "group hug" or perhaps a "strategy -planning huddle" ( I just know they are up to something ....) .

Well. Did you notice in the photo above how the millipedes are smiling. Maybe they are just happy that they know these answers ... and pleased that we don't !

okay ... enough of being serious. Here's a cheasy millipede joke;

You see , This guy lived on his own and he was feeling a bit lonely, so he goes to the pet shop to get something to keep him company. The pet shop owner suggested an unusual pet, a talking millipede. OK, thought the man, I'll give it ago, so he bought one and took it home.

That night he decided to test out his new pet, so he opened the box and said, "I'm going to the pub for a drink, do you want to come too?"

But there was no reply. So he tried again, "Oi, millipede, wanna come to the boozer with me?" Again, no response. So the man ranted and raved for a bit, but after a while decided to give it one more try before he took the thing back to the shop. So he took the lid off the box and repeated, "I said I'm going to the pub for a drink do you want to come?"

"For God's sake, I heard you the first time" snapped the millipede, "I'm just putting my shoes on"

Bet you didn't know millipedes were so interesting.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete